Gingerbread Men (gluten free, dairy free)
Don’t mind my poor piping skills! These cookies have a light and crisp texture, which I prefer to the traditional hard gingerbread. When using gluten free flour, you need to have a binding agent. Xantham gum is usually used in gluten free baking, I didn’t have any so I used arrowroot powder instead. If you have xantham gum in your pantry use 1 tsp. instead of the arrowroot powder. Check your gluten free flour blend if it doesn’t already contain it first. I used bob’s Red Mill gluten free flour blend but I highly recommend Pamela’s gluten free mix, one of my favourites when baking gluten free goodies. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Gingerbread Men
Makes 15-20 cookies (deepening on the size of cookie cutter)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp. molasses
- Set oven to 350F.
- Mix egg, coconut sugar, coconut oil and molasses in a bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until a ball forms.
- Sprinkle flour on the counter so the dough ball won’t stick.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough until 1/4 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out the gingerbread, put on a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Smaller cookies will take 8 minutes, larger will take 10 minutes, watch them so they do not burn.
- Decorate as desired.