Yams are an excellent source of vitamin C and B, potassium, and fibre. Alternatively, you can also substitute yams with sweet potatoes in this recipe. So what’s the actual difference between yams and sweet potatoes? I get asked this all the time when clients are shopping.
Sweet potatoes are not a type of yam, and yams are not a type of sweet potato. Confused yet? True yams are hard to find and grown in Africa and Asia and not typically found in your everyday grocery store.
What is a sweet potato? There are two popular kinds of sweet potatoes that are commonly found in grocery stores. One has a golden skin and paler flesh and cooks firm. The other has a copper skin and orange flesh, cooks soft and often what we call “yam”.
Which one do you prefer? My go-to is the soft orange flesh “yam”. It tastes a bit sweeter to me and I love the texture.
Reference: The Kitchn
Yields 4-5 latkes
- 2 cups shredded yams/ sweet potato
- 1 scallion chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded organic raw cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 2 free range eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- dash of ground pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and form patties.
- Fry each side with 1 tbsp. coconut oil until both sides are brown.
- Serve with organic cream cheese and top with scallions.