Strawberry Oat Bars (vegan, gluten free, dairy free)
These delicious bars are made with superfood quinoa!
- High in iron- one 1/4 cup serving of quinoa contains 20% of your daily iron
- A complete protein which contains all the amino acids
- Contains antioxidants that defends the body against free radicals
- A good source of fibre
Makes 12 bars
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1 cup regular rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup xylitol or 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 small banana, mashed ~1/3 cup
- 4 tablespoons coconut butter/oil, melted
Strawberry Chia Jam
- 1 cup pureed strawberries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 10 drops of liquid stevia or 1 packet powdered stevia
- Cook quinoa and set aside.
- Set oven to 350F. Grease an 8×8 glass dish with coconut oil.
- Puree strawberries and stir in chia seeds, set aside.
- Combine, quinoa, flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and xylitol.
- Melt coconut butter/oil and mix with mashed banana. Add to flour mixture and stir until dough forms. Save 1/2 cup for topping and press the rest into the pan.
- Spread the strawberry chia jam evenly over the base, then top with remaining dough.
- Bake for 30 minutes, and let cool before cutting into bars.
Recipe adapted from Hummusapien.com